Hello, I’m Dan Nguyen!
Who am I? I’m a consultant ophthalmologist and the lead clinician for glaucoma at Mid Cheshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
My goal: My goal in life has always been to be able to help people as best as I can. I’m in a privileged position whereby I can restore people’s vision and provide them with the confidence to live their life to the fullest.
My passion: My favourite thing about my role is seeing patients and their loved ones happy with the outcome of their surgery.
My strengths: My strengths lie in my ability to make people feel at ease, listened to and guided towards making what could be a life-changing moment for them.
A memorable moment: The best reaction I’ve ever received after performing a treatment was when a patient hugged and tried to kiss me! (not something that would be allowed to happen during the pandemic!)
Life outside of work: I’m a married, father of 3 who enjoys spending time with my family, being active, walking and appreciating the great outdoors!
Dan Nguyen’s qualifications
MBChB MBA FRCOphth FRANZCO
Dan Nguyen’s expertise and experience
- Cataract surgery (toric, extended depth of focus and multifocal lenses)
- Refractive lens surgery
- Cataract surgery for patients with glaucoma
- Glaucoma (medical and surgical management)
- Laser treatment for glaucoma
- Minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS)
- Trabeculectomy and non-penetrating surgery for glaucoma
- Glaucoma implant surgery for complex disease
Dan Nguyen’s special interests
As well as dealing with the full range of general ophthalmic conditions, I have a special interest in customised cataract surgery and managing all forms of glaucoma.
Dan Nguyen’s education
After graduating from the University of Bristol Medical School, I gained considerable experience at St. Paul’s Eye Unit at the Royal Liverpool Hospital, and the Bristol Eye Hospital before completing specialist surgical fellowships at the Bristol Eye Hospital, and the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital in Melbourne, Australia.
Dan Nguyen’s research, publications and speaking engagements
I frequently publish research in peer-reviewed medical journals, wider ophthalmic literature, and present in the field of ophthalmology. I have also reviewed several ophthalmic journals.
My research activities include:
- Principle investigator in research trials
- Reviewer for research publications
I am also actively involved in teaching other healthcare professionals and the next generation of eye surgeons.
Dan Nguyen’s professional affiliations
- Fellow of the Royal College Ophthalmologists
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
- British Medical Association
- Member of the UK and Eire Glaucoma Society
- Member of the UK and European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery